Thursday, May 7, 2015

Pallet Wall Shelves

Several months ago, while looking at Pinterest posts, I saw a beautiful bookshelf that someone posted. Their shelf was made from crates and I loved the looked.  Unfortunately, I don't have the site of the original.  Here is where I found it.

Here is my interpretation of their incredible piece.



I nagged my husband (and friends) to start collecting pallets for me.  I don't think anyone realized how many I needed.

My first few pallets were free.  I saw an ad for free pallets at a particular business.  The post indicated that once a month, they would leave pallets out in the parking lot for people take.  We slowly drove by the business initially looking for the pallets and did a u-turn and pulled into the lot.  I saw a pickup truck driving slowly toward us and we beat them by mere moments.

The additional pallets, I will have to admit I paid $2 a piece for them.  They were used to haul empty plastic rain barrels and metal shipping barrels.

My neighbor made a special pry-bar with a long handle that we used to separate the pallets. Some of the pallets were very difficult to pry apart so we did use a reciprocating saw with a metal blade to separate the rest.

Once the pallets were disassembled, I used the thicker pieces for the sides of the boxes and the thinner pieces for the backs.  I had to keep reminding myself that this was a pallet project and not all of the boxes would have the same width sides.

I tried to make each box 8x16.  Unlike purchasing select wood from the store, each piece of wood from the pallets was different thickness.  I can't stress enough to measure your boxes carefully.  In the end, I had some less that perfect boxes.

I made a total of (24) 8x16 boxes.  After about 14 boxes, I kept recounting and felt like I wasn't getting any closer to 22.  Yes, that's right.  I was thinking in my head I only needed TWENTY TWO, imagine my dismay when I realized I could not multiply and really needed 24!



After making all of the boxes, we sanded each one outside and inside

This next part was the most difficult.  We started with the right hand boxes and leveled them and screwed them together.  We used 1 5/8 inch screws.


Here we are half way finished.  It went quicker the more we added.



I didn't want to leave it natural with no stain, but I didn't want it too dark.  
I rubbed in one coat of Rustoleum Special Walnut.  Then, I added sporadic "swishes" of Rustoleum Weathered Gray and then sanded the whole shelf again.  Next, I went over sporadic spots with Rustoleum Willow to lighten up a few places.


And here is how it looks in my home!




Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Miniature Mudroom Makeover

As mentioned in previous posts, our previous 1500 square foot house, the floor plan placed the dining room as the first room as you entered the front door. The previous owners converted this room into a bedroom with a closet.  When we moved in, I used it as my office.

This made it awkward to use the closet for coats or for anything else other than my office supplies. Because we had no hall closet on the main floor, we had a terrible habit of hanging our coats on the bannister even though there was a coat tree in the hall.

In our new house, we have a hall closet and everyone still uses the bannister to hang coats.

I don't have a dedicated "Mudroom", but I do have a hall area that leads to the garage.  I wanted to add some hooks in this area.  So, my first stop, Pinterest!  I love that handy site.  Here is how it turned out, I am tickled with it.


The first thing I did was determine how many hooks I wanted and the placement of them in relation to my board and batten.  I was very nervous about using any other material other than pine boards due to the weight of coats and bags that we might be hanging on this.  I want to continue the Board and Batten throughout the hours and may use something different.  However, for this project I used Top Select Pine Boards.

I went to Lowes and bought

(4) 1x6x6 Top Select Pine Boards (outer vertical pieces and horizontal pieces)
(3) 1x2x6 Top Select Pine Boards (for the picture shelf top and the small pieces for the inside pieces)
(1) Trim piece
(2) Paintable caulk tubes
Liquid Nails
Sherwin Williams Emerald Paint in Pure White
Raw Cast Iron Hooks found on Ebay
Level

I had made a mock drawing of how I wanted to placement of my boards by hours and hours of googling and Pinterest stalking.  I knew I wanted wider boards on the outer edges and I did not want the horizontal boards to be equally spaced.  I wanted a larger space on the bottom.  I measured my wall and decided the placement of the vertical and horizontal boards.

I used a level to make sure all of the boards were in the correct spots.  I used Liquid Nails and then brad nails to secure the boards to the wall.

Once all of the boards were secured, we caulked all of the gaps.  These projects make you realize just how uneven your walls are :)

Then, O helped us sand the boards.  Do be sure to get your caulk lines clean and tidy before they dry.  We had a few areas that we missed and it was very difficult to remove later.


While I was doing this project, I decided to paint the walls as well.  I chose BM Revere Pewter mixed by The Home Depot. I love the color in this hallway.


Originally, I'm not sure how, but I didn't count correctly.  I ended up needing one additional hook.  I asked the vendor on Ebay to sell me just one.  Thankfully, he did!