Pallet Wall Shelves

Several months ago, while looking at Pinterest posts, I saw a beautiful bookshelf that someone posted. Their shelf was made from crates and I loved the looked.  Unfortunately, I don't have the site of the original.  Here is where I found it.

Here is my interpretation of their incredible piece.



I nagged my husband (and friends) to start collecting pallets for me.  I don't think anyone realized how many I needed.

My first few pallets were free.  I saw an ad for free pallets at a particular business.  The post indicated that once a month, they would leave pallets out in the parking lot for people take.  We slowly drove by the business initially looking for the pallets and did a u-turn and pulled into the lot.  I saw a pickup truck driving slowly toward us and we beat them by mere moments.

The additional pallets, I will have to admit I paid $2 a piece for them.  They were used to haul empty plastic rain barrels and metal shipping barrels.

My neighbor made a special pry-bar with a long handle that we used to separate the pallets. Some of the pallets were very difficult to pry apart so we did use a reciprocating saw with a metal blade to separate the rest.

Once the pallets were disassembled, I used the thicker pieces for the sides of the boxes and the thinner pieces for the backs.  I had to keep reminding myself that this was a pallet project and not all of the boxes would have the same width sides.

I tried to make each box 8x16.  Unlike purchasing select wood from the store, each piece of wood from the pallets was different thickness.  I can't stress enough to measure your boxes carefully.  In the end, I had some less that perfect boxes.

I made a total of (24) 8x16 boxes.  After about 14 boxes, I kept recounting and felt like I wasn't getting any closer to 22.  Yes, that's right.  I was thinking in my head I only needed TWENTY TWO, imagine my dismay when I realized I could not multiply and really needed 24!



After making all of the boxes, we sanded each one outside and inside

This next part was the most difficult.  We started with the right hand boxes and leveled them and screwed them together.  We used 1 5/8 inch screws.


Here we are half way finished.  It went quicker the more we added.



I didn't want to leave it natural with no stain, but I didn't want it too dark.  
I rubbed in one coat of Rustoleum Special Walnut.  Then, I added sporadic "swishes" of Rustoleum Weathered Gray and then sanded the whole shelf again.  Next, I went over sporadic spots with Rustoleum Willow to lighten up a few places.


And here is how it looks in my home!




Comments

  1. At this point you'll find out what is important, it all gives a url to the appealing page: st Louis home builder

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts